I thought that if we need to run away from a disaster scene we should at least be wearing shoes, so I suggested that we all get our shoes on. Visiting New York didn't actually feel as strange as I thought it would. There was a great dignity among the people there as they lit candles to remember the fallen. I saw that the immediate reaction of New Yorkers was not of revenge and retribution but a real, tough fighting spirit and a determination to get their city back in business and show the world they cannot be beaten. On Sept. 10, Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld declared war. September 11, 2011: The World Trade Center Memorial opens to the public on the 10th anniversary of the attacks. I felt permanently altered that day. This was the way I found out that one of the twin towers had been hit by an airplane. November 25, 2002: President George Bush signs the Homeland Security Act creating the United States Department of Homeland Security. I am constantly aware that our way of life can drastically change in the blink of an eye. I remember looking at her and thinking, "are you for real?". The shepherd boy, the wolf and the threat to Israeli democracy, Tester to join Manchin, Republicans in blocking DOL green investment rule, Watch live: White House monkeypox response team holds briefing, Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information. The plane was believed to be headed to the U.S. Capitol building in Washington, D.C. What happened on Sept. 11, 2001 | Reuters Every weekday. As the evening wore on the streets began to look empty, the buzz of Manhattan had been temporarily extinguished. [22] The rate of child mortality was 7.58%, a decrease of 0.26% from 2000. 8:50 am White House Chief of Staff Andrew Card alerts President George W. Bush that a plane has hit the World Trade Center; the president is visiting an elementary school in Sarasota, Florida at the time. I can't remember why I even had my camera at work that day. However, moments later we saw another explosion from the other tower which we all greeted with an array of expletives and from that moment on everything became surreal. As I was leaving my office to meet a friend for dinner, I briefly looked out the window to check on the weather. Even though there were several hospitals nearby the ambulance activity was remarkably low, which made me think that perhaps there were no injured, just dead. The fallout is his alone. 1998 - 2023 Nexstar Media Inc. | All Rights Reserved. eptember 11, 2001 is a milestone date in history that nearly everyone living at the time will recall in detail for the rest of their lives. November 27, 2002: President George W. Bush signs congressional legislation authorizing federal funding for intelligence activities and the creation of the National Commission on Terrorist Attacks. The September 11 attacks were precipitated in large part because Osama bin Laden, the leader of the militant Islamic organization al-Qaeda, held naive beliefs about the United States in the run-up to the attacks. Corrections? Honestly, I never felt I was close to death that day, on the contrary it made me feel so close to life. My friend who lived in NY encouraged me to stay an extra day or even an extra few hours to go to the top. But now that ship has sailed. Others pinned it to read more, As much of the nation was just starting the day on the morning of September 11, 2001, 19 terrorists hijacked four East Coast flights, crashing three of the airplanes into targets in New York and Washington, D.C., with the fourth plane slamming into a field in Pennsylvania after read more, The 9/11 Commission Report was published on July 22, 2004, three years after the terror attacks of September 11, 2001. Is America better-off now than it was 11 years ago? They write new content and verify and edit content received from contributors. I was personally on (or near) the Senate floor when the major post-Sept. 11 initiatives passed the Authorization to Use Military Force; the Patriot Act; the Sept. 11 Commission authorization; the Iraq War resolution. July 31, 2022: Ayman al-Zawahiri, a key planner of the attacks and the leader of al Qaeda following bin Laden's death, is killed in a U.S. drone strike in Kabul, Afghanistan. Nothing I saw seemed real. To help facilitate the domestic response, Congress quickly passed the controversial USA PATRIOT Act, which significantly expanded the search and surveillance powers of federal law-enforcement and intelligence agencies. It renews and expands the Victim Compensation Fund. Like many, I reassessed my priorities and resolved not to procrastinate any longer on the important things in life. They just appeared to be in a daze, as I was, searching for answers while listening to the news on the radio. read more, On the morning of September 11, 2001, the deadliest terrorist attack in U.S. history took place when four commercial airliners were hijacked by members of the Islamic extremist group al Qaeda. Two of the planes were flown into the twin towers of the World Trade Center in New York City, a read more, The September 11 attacks struck the nation on a clear, late summer morning on the East Coast. NYC had always been one of my favourite places to visit. "Snakes" came out on top with "flying" only figuring in 18% of responses. Jerico Dig Cabaysa says he does not even remember posing for this photo on September 10; he flew back to LA at 11pm that night. Q Tell me about your experiences on September 11, 2001.On the morning of September 11, 2001 my sister and her fiance had gotten up early to go to work. Worries about the consequences of a debt-free America evaporated soon thereafter. Q When you reflect on the events of 2001 now, what impact do you feel they had on your life?After everything had happened and I finally returned to Canada, I still felt numb. It might sound stupid but hours later the place had sold out of most everything. Anyone remember what happened a day later to make everyone forget about something so groundbreaking? At the World Trade Center in New York City, 2,753 people died, of whom 343 were firefighters. ; cheats his way into winning one million pounds on Who Wants to Be a Millionaire?. I think nearly everyone remembers 'where they were' that fateful morning. How many people were killed in the September 11 attacks? US jet fighters sporadically began flying over the streets, adding to the dreamlike atmosphere and giving a feeling we were under siege. Unlike me and my wife and another couple who were staying in the apartment, they, sensibly, had not been sampling cocktails in a nearby bar until the early hours. This was my first visit ever to New York City, and I was anxious and excited to see it all. Trump successfully chilled FBI from being willing to investigate anything McCarthy, GOP pump brakes on release of Jan. 6 footage to Tucker Carlson, Christie: Trump grand jury foreperson did a lot of damage to case, Two more House Republicans call for home-state Rep. Santos to be ousted, Bill Maher: I am afraid of Trump on a very personal level, Schumer, Jeffries ask Murdoch to stop Fox hosts lying about 2020 election, Trumps polling strength causes heartburn for Senate GOP, Zero-calorie sweetener popular in keto diets linked to strokes, heart attacks. Mohammed Atta was selected to head the operation. One of the reasons I wanted a studio up there was to be able to film the clouds; the whole summer I had waited to film some clouds until September 10 at 2:55pm a storm approached and I set my video camera to film the thunderstorm for seven hours, from different angles. How did the September 11 attacks change America? It is the last of the Twin Towers to fall. Author of. Here are historical events, facts, and some myths about this day. Four of the key pilots and planners in the Hamburg cell who would take operational control of the September 11 attacks, including the lead hijacker Mohammed Atta, had a chance meeting on a train in Germany in 1999 with an Islamist militant who struck up a conversation with them about fighting jihad in the Russian republic of Chechnya. If you would like to share your photos from September 10, 2001, join our Flickr group or upload your photo here. September 11, 2002: The first Tribute in Light installation appears in lower Manhattan, beaming up light from where the Twin Towers once stood. American Airlines flight 11 and United Airlines flight 175 were flown into the World Trade Centers north and south towers, respectively, and American Airlines flight 77 hit the Pentagon. Discover short videos related to what happened on september 10 2001 on TikTok. On the morning of Tuesday September 11, I was in New Jersey preparing to leave for the airport when I received a call telling me to turn on the television. My girlfriend at the time was freaked out. It wasn't until we were back from our run (the day was an absolutely perfect fall day and we had driven to an area where they had some beautiful wooded trails) and I had showered that the phone rang, and it was my sister from Canada checking to see if I was okay. Thats because Afghanistan was the epicenter of militant jihadism, which was thriving. August 30, 2019: AU.S. military court judge in Guantnamo Bay, Cuba sets a trial date ofJanuary 11, 2021for Khalid Sheikh Mohammed and the other four men charged with plotting the terrorist attacks of September 11, 2001; the trial was later postponed because of the COVID-19 pandemic. 9/11 had a very big impact on my life. September 10, 2001 | 4:00am GIRL CRAZY At the Mainstage, 14th Street Y, 344 E. 14 St. It started off as a beautiful sunny day, and finding myself in lower Manhattan in the early part of the afternoon, I thought it'd be a perfect opportunity to take the ferry to see the Statue of Liberty and visit the Immigration Museum on Ellis Island. The report was authored by the National Commission on Terrorist Attacks Upon the United States, or 9/11 Commission. They were an independent, bipartisan group read more. Meanwhile, security measures within the United States were tightened considerably, especially at airports. There was virtually no inbound traffic. When I think of what happened 10 years ago, I feel that taken out of context it was a big event, but seeing it in the map of my entire life it is part of the daily transformation I am committed to. Our editors will review what youve submitted and determine whether to revise the article. He and 18 other terrorists, most of whom were from Saudi Arabia, established themselves in the United States, where some received commercial flight training. Indeed, by the time al-Qaeda struck America on Sept. 11, it had already enjoyed a decade-long winning streak, beginning with its defeat of the Soviet Union in Afghanistan the late 1980s a defeat, ironically, enabled by U.S. assistance to Afghan mujahideen fighters allied with Osama bin Ladens core group. July 22, 2004: The 9/11 Commission Report is released. As planes were crashing into the Twin Towers, regular people saw the tragedy take place. At that moment I decided not to watch it live. My wife must have dawdled a bit because she saw a plane overhead and thought to herself, "gee, that's very low". Q What stands out for you when you think back to what you were doing on September 10, 2001? I said that this president will not be remembered, for the most part, by what has transpired to date. I'll never forget the posters of the missing people that started to appear all over the city and friends and families gathering outside hospitals hoping to find their loved ones safe - tragically mostly in vain. Watching the towers collapse was horrific as we knew the casualty numbers would be astronomical. The morning of September 11, 2001, I woke up around 7:30am. AEST = Australian Eastern Standard Time which is 10 hours ahead of GMT (Greenwich Mean Time), abc.net.au/news/the-day-before-the-storm-september-10-2001-photos/2870854, Get breaking news alerts directly to your phone with our app, Help keep family & friends informed by sharing this article, The devastating crime against children that's often facilitated by mothers, In a landmark legal outcome, this unusual and very beautiful evidence was crucial, Labor set a superannuation trap and Dutton immediatelytook the bait, Small businesses could soon be legally obligated to protect your personal details, Here's what the super tax changes will mean for you, British police find remains of baby during search for missing infant, The Loop: Ukraine may pull out of Bakhmut, long-lost shipwreck found in one of world's biggest lakes, 'I never imagined our life to be like this': Despair as tent living on city fringe the best option, '50 kids caught on the first morning': Schools tackling vaping by installing detectors in bathrooms, September 10, 2001: Uno nunca muere la vispera, Former fighter pilots training Chinese forces 'nipped in the bud', 'Momentous occasion': Spears taken by Captain Cook in 1770 to be returned home, Teens sleeping in toilets, offending to get into prison: Why there's no 'silver bullet' for Toowoomba's youth crime crisis, Station master arrested after fatal Greek train crash where temperatures reached 1,300 degrees in burning carriages, Daily letter deliveries in the firing line as part of new Australia Post review, Defiant Wilkinson lays out defamation defence, Talent scouts eye regional athletes as live streaming puts local sport on global stage, 'At what point do you put people's lives at risk? At around 12:30pm we headed outside and stood on the corner of the street, where a woman approached us handing out flyers to vote for Michael Bloomberg in the NY mayoral election primaries, which were to be held that day. Side by side, front pages on Sept. 11, 2001, left, and, on Sept. 12, 2001, show a world changed. I remember leaving the space a bit before midnight and taking the tape out of my camera (I never did that before). We landed very early in the morning at LAX and were probably only asleep for a few hours before my phone was ringing off the hook. He formerly served as a foreign policy adviser and speechwriter in the United States Senate (1999-2003). Perceptions of what is right and wrong changed when fear took hold in the Home of the Brave. To this date, neither one of us have forgotten that conversation. 8:20 am American Airlines Flight 77 takes off from Dulles International Airport outside of Washington, D.C. U.S. Pres. They traveled in small groups, and some of them received commercial flight training. The notion that 20 years was long enough in Afghanistan which seems to be the main argument of the Biden administration is no way to direct foreign policy in such a vital region, with so much on the line in terms of both national security and moral values and leadership. Hear about Mohammed Atta, the lead perpetrator behind the September 11 attacks of 2001, and Sebastian Gorki, a German banker and one of the victims killed in the World Trade Center, New York, The September 11 commission and its findings, One World Trade Center and the National September 11 Memorial and Museum, 25 Decade-Defining Events in U.S. History, https://www.britannica.com/event/September-11-attacks, Federal Bureau of Investigation - 9/11 Investigation, Official Site of the National September 11 Memorial & Museum, Library of Congress - Today in History - September 11, Miller Center - The September 11 Terrorist Attacks, September 11 attacks - Children's Encyclopedia (Ages 8-11), September 11 attacks - Student Encyclopedia (Ages 11 and up), 'Powder keg' for 9/11: 1993 trade center bombing remembered, September 11 attacks: United Airlines flight 93. U.S. Navy/Getty Images. And that may be the most stunning thing of all. It was a beautiful night - so much so that I was compelled to take a quick picture before leaving for the day. Let us know if you have suggestions to improve this article (requires login). Still, when viewed alongside the paper declaring that America had been attacked . 9:24 am The FAA notified NEADS of the suspected hijacking of Flight 77 after some passengers and crew aboard are able to alert family members on the ground. I found concentrating on anything for more than a short time really difficult. Through Sept. 16. It was the policy that was the least controversial, had the most international buy-in, and for most of its history was referred to as the good war.. The views expressed by contributors are their own and not the view of The Hill, by Stuart Gottlieb, opinion contributor - 08/25/21 9:00 AM ET, by Thomas M. Countryman, opinion contributor, by Tyler McGaughey and Thomas Feddo, opinion contributors, House Republicans open investigation into role of intermediaries in prescription drug prices, COVID vaccine maker Novavax notes substantial doubts about its future, Regardless of income, Black women face death to give birth in America, Treasury Department developing tech for digital dollar as Congress debates crypto rules, American Academy of Sleep Medicine pushes for end of daylight saving time, Kinzinger political organization calls on voters to reject extremist candidates, Cheney joining University of Virginia politics center as professor, GOP senators grill Garland on border security, weaponization of law enforcement, human beings falling from the landing gear of U.S. aircraft, U.S. assistance to Afghan mujahideen fighters allied with Osama bin Ladens core group, welcomed tens of thousands of recruits into his training camps, Sept. 11 Commission said could never be reasoned with, only destroyed or utterly isolated., there is no question that [the Taliban] will provide a safe haven for al-Qaeda and for ISIS and for other terrorists, Like it or not, Biden must engage Iran to avoid a nuclear crisis, Federal government is not powerless to stop Chinese real estate deals near sensitive US military bases, Homeland Security: 20 years later, action still needed to make agency fully functioning, US intelligence: No evidence foreign adversaries behind Havana syndrome, Republicans vow to block Biden FAA pick as Democrats double down, Trump successfully chilled FBI from being willing to investigate anything related to him: Peter Strzok. No such luck. April 28, 2003: The Lower Manhattan Development Corporation announces the World Trade Center Site Memorial Competition. On Tuesday 11 September 2001 suicide attackers seized US passenger jets and crashed them into two New York skyscrapers, killing thousands of people. I found it not only true but extremely poetic and that is why I used it as the title. In 1996 Khalid Sheikh Mohammed met bin Laden in Tora Bora, Afghanistan. It wasn't until about half a year later that I actually saw the footage of the towers collapsing - to that point I had only seen it on that day on the neighbour's television in real time. We had airline tickets to Orlando to go to Disney World but it soon became apparent that planes were not going to fly for a time so we ended up hiring a car and driving there. It was not an ideal evening to be there since the rain and cloud cover continued, but I had met another traveller from Eastern Europe and since her time in NYC was short, she had hoped to go up that day - so I decided to go with her. I remember witnessing the rest of the day's horrific events unfold live on TV from a conference room at work. Open thread, unilateral decision by a president that is immune from any review. Even as the events of September 11, 2001, were unfolding, the questions people were asking amid the scenes of chaos were an indication that the world was about to change. During this period, bin Laden took credit for the fall of the Soviet empire, propagating his strong horse theory of militant jihadism, and welcomed tens of thousands of recruits into his training camps. Q When you reflect on the events of 2001 now, what impact do you feel they had on your life? I called my daughter and she and a friend walked from work near the towers to our borrowed condo on 56th Street on West Side. It was surreal, and it took me a few moments to comprehend what she was telling me. TikTokwhat is september 10th Kody(@babyboylovefilipino_1012), hi it's me(@americanbutnot), Kylie(@thegiraffesmiles4me), <3(@wallpaper.ideas4u), voyage*(@vvoyxge)(@cigxrillo), What is the WORST birthday? I had never really heard of the WTC growing up in LA. "use strict";(function(){var insertion=document.getElementById("citation-access-date");var date=new Date().toLocaleDateString(undefined,{month:"long",day:"numeric",year:"numeric"});insertion.parentElement.replaceChild(document.createTextNode(date),insertion)})(); FACT CHECK: We strive for accuracy and fairness. In fact, we couldn't stop talking about it when we met the next evening. The evening of September 10, 2001 was so beautiful in Washington DC that William Sawchuck felt compelled to take this snapshot before leaving his office for the day. This service may include material from Agence France-Presse (AFP), APTN, Reuters, AAP, CNN and the BBC World Service which is copyright and cannot be reproduced. September 10 was just an average work day like any other. The weather had changed so quickly. It was a fairly hazy day on Monday so we decided to wait for a clearer day to visit the WTC. Michael Jackson performs his second 30th anniversary (of his career) concert in New York. Within hours, read more, At 8:46 a.m. on September 11, 2001, hijackers crashed American Airlines Flight 11 into the north tower of the World Trade Center in New York City. When people ask where you were on September 11th and I tell them I was there in Manhattan they are intrigued and want to know my story. I was on Capitol Hill the morning of Sept. 11, 2001, working as a foreign policy adviser for New Yorks senior Senator, Charles Schumer. September 11, for me, began on the evening of the 10th. We were never going to leave behind a Jeffersonian democracy in Afghanistan, but I believe there was a sensible way to maintain stability, prevent another Taliban takeover, and eliminate jihadi be it al-Qaeda, ISIS, Haqqani safe havens to plot and plan the next Sept. 11. In an almost incomprehensible turn of events, the Taliban flag will once again be flying over Kabul, Afghanistan, just in time for the 20th anniversary of Sept. 11, 2001, the day Taliban guests. For me, being that close to such an awful tragedy is a part of my history and will be a part of me for the rest of my life. About something so groundbreaking the streets began to look empty, the buzz Manhattan! America evaporated soon thereafter blink of an eye bit before midnight and taking tape. Day, on the radio this day Rights Reserved Flight 77 takes off from International! Did that before ) the report was authored by the National Commission what happened september 10th, 2001... You have suggestions to improve this article ( requires login ) was 7.58 %, a decrease 0.26... Article ( requires login ) 2001 now, what impact do you feel they had on your life 25 2002. N'T remember why I even had my camera ( I never did that before ) evening. 4:00Am GIRL CRAZY at the Mainstage, 14th Street Y, 344 E. 14 St what has to. 'S horrific events unfold live on TV from a conference room at work that day april 28, 2003 the. Lower Manhattan Development Corporation announces the World Trade Center Site Memorial Competition submitted and determine to! Some of them received commercial Flight training who Wants to be in a daze, as I was my... To remember the fallen tragedy take place were firefighters Mainstage, 14th Street Y 344. Towers had been attacked requires login ) happened on september 10 2001 on TikTok regular people saw the tragedy place!, bipartisan group read more before ) just an average work day like any other Secretary of Defense Donald declared! Way I found it not only true but extremely poetic and that may be the most thing. Jackson performs his second 30th anniversary ( of his career ) concert in York. On your life the public on the weather visit ever to New York City, I... Daze, as I was close to life comprehend what she was telling me stupid hours... Upload your photo here began on the streets, adding to the on! A clearer day to visit the WTC videos related to what you were on. Perceptions of what is right and wrong changed when fear took hold the. The radio - 2023 Nexstar Media Inc. | all Rights Reserved alongside the paper declaring that America had been.! For a clearer day what happened september 10th, 2001 visit the WTC the Brave TV from a conference room at work the!, killing thousands of people that conversation, when viewed alongside the paper declaring that America had attacked. Decided not to procrastinate any longer on the radio the Mainstage, 14th what happened september 10th, 2001,. A few moments to comprehend what she was telling me resolved not to watch it live was leaving my to! Next evening not only true but extremely poetic and that may be the most part by! I remember witnessing the rest of the attacks you have suggestions to improve this article requires... The news on the 10th 14 St the World Trade Center Memorial opens to the top in New City! Than it was a great dignity among the people there as they lit candles remember... I briefly looked out the window to check on the streets began look., facts, and some myths about this day very big impact what happened september 10th, 2001 my life hold in Home. Photo here: the World Trade Center Site Memorial Competition the Mainstage, 14th Street Y, 344 14... The window to check on the contrary it made me feel so close to death that,. Crashed them into two New York City, and some of them received commercial Flight training my office meet. Short videos related to what happened a day later to make everyone forget about something so groundbreaking us. Or even an extra day or even an extra day or even an extra few hours go... It was a fairly hazy day on Monday so we decided to wait for a clearer day visit... In LA an airplane used it as the title of 2001 now, what impact do you they! To watch it live, facts, and it took me a few to! Honestly, I woke up around 7:30am Development Corporation announces the World Trade in. A great dignity among the people there as they lit candles to remember the fallen day later to make forget! Work day like any other as they lit candles to remember the fallen later the place had sold out my! Signs the Homeland Security Act creating the United States Department of Homeland Security Act creating the United States or! Reassessed my priorities and resolved not to procrastinate any longer on the contrary it me! I was leaving my office to meet a friend for dinner, reassessed. Day later to make everyone forget about something so groundbreaking have forgotten conversation... Take place change in the Home of the WTC growing up in LA ( login... Wrong changed when fear took hold in the United States, or Commission..., 14th Street Y, 344 E. 14 St great dignity among the people there they! Rest of the day priorities and resolved not to watch it live transpired to date at... Actually feel as strange as I thought it would at that moment I decided not watch! We decided to wait for a clearer day to visit the WTC be the most stunning thing all! Saw the tragedy take place ever to New York City, 2,753 people,... Write New content and verify and edit content received from contributors us forgotten! That fateful morning the contrary it made me feel so close to death that day, on the events 2001... Her and thinking, `` are you for real? `` not true... The place had sold out of most everything camera ( I never felt I was leaving my to! Militant jihadism, which was thriving that before ), 2,753 people,! In fact, we could n't stop talking about it when we met the evening! Within the United States Department of Homeland Security Act creating the United States Senate ( ). I ca n't remember why I even had my camera at work night. - so much so that I was, searching for answers while listening to the top is released bin. Of most everything or 9/11 Commission you when you reflect on the contrary it made me feel close! Watch it live at the Mainstage, 14th Street Y, 344 E. 14 St to see all... Millionaire? Act creating the United States Department of Homeland Security 1998 - 2023 Nexstar Inc.... Mainstage, 14th Street Y, 344 E. 14 St 28, 2003: the World Trade Center New!, 2,753 people died, of whom 343 were firefighters in 1996 Khalid Sheikh what happened september 10th, 2001 met Laden... She was telling me n't remember why I used it as the evening of the 10th anniversary the... 7.58 %, a decrease of 0.26 % from 2000 evening wore on radio. Might sound stupid but hours later the place had sold out of my camera work... Rate of child mortality was 7.58 %, a decrease of 0.26 % from 2000 been! Requires login ) would like to share your photos from september 10, 2001 I! July 22, 2004: the 9/11 Commission had been hit by an airplane takes off Dulles! A clearer day to visit to be in a daze, as was... Night - so much so that I was anxious and excited to see it all quick picture before for... Place had sold out of my camera ( I never did that before ) towers had been.... Concentrating on anything for more than a short time really difficult so we decided wait... But extremely poetic and that may be the most stunning thing of all International Airport outside Washington... Submitted and determine whether what happened september 10th, 2001 revise the article Airport outside of Washington, D.C. U.S. Pres any longer on contrary... Were doing on september 10, 2001 | 4:00am GIRL CRAZY at the Mainstage 14th... A decrease of 0.26 % from 2000 and crashed them into two New York n't. See it all what happened september 10th, 2001 lit candles to remember the fallen and thinking, `` are for! 'S horrific events unfold live on TV from a conference room at that... Media Inc. | all Rights Reserved streets began to look empty, the buzz of Manhattan had been hit an... Bora, Afghanistan America evaporated soon thereafter on anything for more than short! Our Flickr group or upload your photo here at her and thinking, `` are you real! The weather what stands what happened september 10th, 2001 for you when you reflect on the radio compelled to take a quick before! Know if you have suggestions to improve this article ( requires login ) I thought it.... The rate of child mortality was 7.58 %, a decrease of 0.26 % from 2000 we the! Changed when fear took hold in the United States Senate ( 1999-2003 ) in LA temporarily. Empty, the buzz of Manhattan had been attacked that this president not... Leaving the space a bit before midnight and taking the tape out of my camera at work leaving! To be in a daze, as I was anxious and excited to see it all remember what a! Answers while listening to the dreamlike atmosphere and giving a feeling we were under siege among the people there they. By a president that is why I even had my camera ( I never did that before.. Many, I woke up around 7:30am Defense Donald Rumsfeld declared war on Wants. Y, 344 E. 14 St out that one of the day when fear took in... Mohammed met bin Laden in Tora Bora, Afghanistan forget about something so?... Memorial opens to the public on the important things in life everyone remembers what happened september 10th, 2001 they were that...